The mercury is starting to rise across the country. San Diego ProHandyman wants everyone to stay safe, stay cool, and enjoy the outdoors this summer!
Severe Weather Safety and Preparation Tips
Here are a few safety and preparation tips that will help prepare your family for severe weather events:
- Prepare your emergency plan now. Decide where your “safe room” will be, and make plans for how you will communicate with family members after an emergency event.
- Make sure to buy and install surge protectors for expensive and sensitive electronics and appliances. They can all be destroyed with a single lightning strike or a power surge.
- Make sure gutters are clean. Heavy rains can overflow gutters and cause drainage or flooding issues.
- Take digital photos or video of both the inside and outside of your home. Store any photos or videos at an offsite location. Documentation of your home and its contents will make your insurance claims process much easier should you ever need to file a claim.
- Keep combustibles away from the sides of your house. This is especially important in areas susceptible to wildfires.
Get a Jump on Beating the Heat This Summer It is not too early to prepare your home for the heat that inevitably will arrive this summer. Here’s what you can do to keep your costs down:
- Install a ceiling fan. It will it increase your energy efficiency and your overall comfort.
- Consider investing in an attic/whole-house fan. This is a large fan installed in the ceiling that moves large volumes of air to keep your house cool. If you don’t have air-conditioning, it will make a big difference in your comfort level. It also lowers the extreme temperatures in your attic, extending the life of your roof.
- Install weather stripping. A 1/8-inch gap below your door can add up to the equivalent surface area of a brick, thereby allowing a lot of cooled air to escape into the outdoors.
Enjoy the Outdoors
Across the country, people are enjoying the outdoors. Decks and patios are probably where you will spend a lot of your leisure time this summer, so now is the time to get them in top shape.
Outdoor Kitchens: From a simple cooking area to an elaborate addition, outdoor kitchens are a way to add value to your home and make better use of your space.
Playgrounds: Did you buy a swing set or other playground equipment for the kids, only to get the item home and realize that some assembly is required? Our techs can help build and install everything from playground equipment to furniture.
Patio: Custom shades and patio covers are a great way to get more use of your outdoor space, even during hot or inclement weather. Installing a ceiling fan on the inside of a patio cover will create a cool breeze even when the air is still.
San Diego ProHandyman can help. Repair. Improve. Maintain. One call does it all!
San Diego ProHandyman can maintain your home to save you money. Just make a simple call and our specialists will take care of everything on your to-do list Make sure to stay on top of all your household repairs, improvements and maintenance needs and request service in your area.